Thursday, August 15, 2013

Eric Liddell: Pure Gold

For my non-fiction book, I chose to read Eric Liddell: Pure Gold. After seeing the movie Chariot's of Fire, I was curious to learn more about the life of Olympian Eric Liddell. I enjoy running, so I thought it would be interesting to read a book about someone who also loved running.

 Liddell was an Olympic distance runner, whose running career was at its prime in the 1920's. It was fascinating to learn how he trained for the Olympics, earned a college degree, and spoke at thousands of assemblies all at the same time. Even though it must have been very difficult, Liddell was able to excel at all three of these commitments. The book often mentions how Liddell had a difficult time saying when asked to add something else into his busy life.

 Liddell's hardworking attitude and his devotion to everything in life is most likely attributed to his upbringing. His parents were missionaries in China who loved their children very much and always wanted the best for them.  At the time, it would have been difficult for Eric and his brothers to receive a proper education in China, so they attended a private school in England. It is there that Eric Liddell discovered his love for running, rugby, working hard in school, and God. Although Liddell is best known for his amazing Olympic achievements, running is only a fragment of his life.

Both Eric and his brother Rob decided to follow in their parents' footsteps by becoming missionaries in China. Eric Liddell felt that his running career was only a platform that gave him opportunities to share his love for God with both athletes and non-athletes. Being a missionary in China during the 1930's and 1940's was also very dangerous due to the war between China and Japan. Despite this, Liddell chose to persevere knowing that he was called to bring the love of God and hope to the Chinese people.  My favorite part of this biography was how encouraged I felt each time I opened the book. Even in moments when Liddell went months without seeing his family and even being confined to an internment camp, he viewed every situation with a positive outlook. He brought joy, laughter and hope to people during difficult times.

When I first checked out the book, I had no idea what to expect. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised, and did not anticipate the emotion I would feel while reading the book. On the final pages of the book when Eric Liddell's life comes to a close, I felt a sense of loss in my own heart. It was amazing to read how his life touched so many others in wonderful ways. I would recommend this book to anyone, and believe that the world is a better place because of Eric Liddell.

No comments:

Post a Comment